Welcome aboard!

Indian cuisine is a riot of colours, flavours, and spices. Every state has its own unique culture- ingrained taste bud. And, to many of us staying within familiar tastes is a sacrosanct act. Of course an occasional trip to a speciality restaurant that serves another fare is ok. But, as a matter of routine ...at home...NO!

One of the benefits of being born to parents who dared an interstate marriage (am talking about India of the 70's) was being able to widen a regional taste bud to accept, experiment and, relish eclectic cuisines :-)

I love food! Be it traditional or fusion, cooking is all about turning out fare that is tasty and healthy.I welcome all lovers of good food to come on aboard and share your kitchen adventures.

If you like what you see, do leave a comment. If you don't, please leave a suggestion to help me make this better.

You can also request for any recipe you want. Just leave a note in a comment box.

Happy cooking!

Dershana

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hummus (Chick pea dip with sesame paste)

Just after our betrothal, my husband got posted to Beirut, Lebanon.So, our first home after marriage was the mediterranean country. The native population speak arabic and french, very few knew English. Born with a very dominant social streak, I cannot survive without friends...but the language was a barrier, initially!
We lived in a serviced apartment which sent in a native lady to clean the place. Within days, we became friends..if that was ever possible between two people with a wide age difference, different backgrounds, and who virtually did not understand a single word the other one spoke! She introduced me to mediterranean cuisine... Where she couldnt explain the ingredients to me...she wrote down the names of items I should buy at the supermarket in Arabic. I just took it to the nearby mart and got the sales assistants to read the slip and get me stuff. At home , my friend demonstarated hummus, falafel, and a few other very yummy recipes
White chickpeas (kabuli channa/vella kadala) - 1 cup
Tahina (sesame paste) - 1/2 cup
Lemon juice - of 2 medium sized juicy ones
Garlic - 2 cloves
Olive oil - 10 ml
Salt to taste


Soak chickpeas overnight, drain and pressure cook.Mash the chickpeas (use a ladle, or a electric processor) Crush the garlic cloves. In a deep bowl place the chickpea mash, add the rest of the ingredients and mix till smooth.
Serve up with a drizzle of olive oil, a dash of paprika and a few whole chickpeas.
Tastes lovely with Khubuz (arabic bread), chappathis, tortillas, nachos, grilled chicken, or just plain old carrot sticks :-)
If you don't get readymade tahina in your neighbourhood,make your own at home:

White sesame seeds - 1/2 cup
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
Salt - to taste

Dry roast the sesame seeds till it turns an even light brown and wafts an aroma. Powder in a small mixer bowl. Once fine, add in the olive oil and whisk the mixer again. In case the mix is dry add a little more olive oil. The final consistency should be like that of a smooth peanut butter.

If you liked this recipe, you might also like Falafel. http://thefootloosechef.blogspot.com/2008/07/falafel-with-garlic-labenah-dip-and.html.

This is my entry to the DIPS event on at Archana's kitchen. The event is on till 30th September at http://www.archanaskitchen.com/2008/events/dips-a-collection/

As promised in my earlier post, am passing on the Good Job award, that EC gave me, to to four more fellow foodies, apart from the earlier two, whom I genuinely feel are doing a great job. So, here's to Yasmeen of yasmeen-healthnut, Srimathi of fewminutewonders, Purva of purvasdaawat, and Sangeeth of letusallcook

18 comments:

Indian Khana said...

This is really interesting dear..thanks for sharing the wonderful recipe ;)

Jaishree Iyer said...

Hi dershana,
you are having wonderful recepies.chickpea with sesame is very new and interesting to know about different culture.Thanks for sharing:)

Usha said...

I love having hummus with my pita chips...yours looks perfect:)

Sagari said...

beautiful looking hummus dershna

NKP said...

I love hummus, I like yours - it has a generous amount of lemon and I love lemon!

Laura said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and answering my burning question about that little degree symbol! Your blog is gorgeous! I'm definitely going to try this hummus. My kids all love hummus and I've always wanted to make it. Now, there aren't any excuses - thanks for the recipe!

lubnakarim06 said...

Ohh long back dear. thank u for u r kind wishes. Love this Hummus recipe.

Sangeeth said...

Thanks so much dershana.....

Vaishali said...

Dershana, I too am a fan of middle eastern food, and am lucky enough to have a friend here in the US who is from Lebanon and who helped me learn some of these wonderful dishes. Hummus is one of my favorites, because it is so easy, so delicious and so healthy: an all-round winner, really. Your version looks delicious.

Unknown said...

First time here..Hummus looks great Dershana

Dershana said...

Thank you Priti, Jaishree, Usha, Sagari, Natashya, Laura,Lubna, Vaishali, and Divya :-)

You are welcome, Sangeeth.

FewMinute Wonders said...

Congrats on your award and Thanks Dershana for passing it on to me. I did not realize that I am getting an award when I am nearing the 100th Post. I am so humbled.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Dershana for passing the award to me.
Hummus looks nice and creamy

vandana rajesh said...

First time here ...nice blog. Delicious hummus recipe and really authentic from someone who has been there. Thks for sharing the recipe

EC said...

r u aware of the dips event by archana..u could send in this there..btw, another award for u here http://simpleindianfood.blogspot.com/2008/09/dahi-batata-puri-events-and-awards.html

Deepthi Shankar said...

hummus looks really lovely ... i havent made it at home .. thanks for sharing

Purva Desai said...

Hummus is my all time fav accompaniment with Pitta bread. Congrats on receiving well deserved award and thanks for sharing it with me.

Dori said...

That's a great story of learning some new foods! The hummus looks perfectly tasty!

 
Blog Blog