For the fruit salad ( serves 2-3 people)
1) Apples - 2
2) Orange - 1
3) Black grapes (seedless)- 1/2 cup
4) Green grapes (seedless)- 1/2 cup
5)Pineapple - 1/2 a medium sized fruit
6)Bananas - 2
7) Lemon juice - 2 teaspoons (10gms)
8) Honey - 2 teaspoons (10gms)
9) Assorted nuts (almonds, cashews, pine nuts etc) - 1/4 cup (optional)
Cut all the fruits. Add the lemon juice and honey. Refridgerate for 1/2 hour.
For the cake n custard
1) Ready to make custard powder(vanilla) - 2 dessertspoons (20 gms)
2)Milk - 1 litre
3) Sugar to taste
4) Ordinary sponge cake (tea cake) - 1 loaf
Keep 1 cup milk seperately and boil the rest of it. Into the cool milk add the custard powder and make a smooth paste (ensure there are no lumps). Pour this into the boiling milk along with sugar to taste. Keep stirring till it reaches a thick, pourable consistency. Note that we need to make this a little thicker than the ordinary custard. Let cool slightly.
Slice the cake.
In a flat glass dish (you should be able to see the colourful layers of this dish from the outside), place a layer of cake. Top this with a layer of fruit salad. On top add a layer of custard. Again a layer of cake, followed by fruit and then custard. Repeat process till everything is finished.
Note that the topmost layer should be custard. Sprinkle a few cherries or nuts to make the top more colourful.
Refridgerate till its time to serve.
7 hours ago