1) Oats - 1 cup
2) Finely chopped assorted vegetables - 2 cups (onions, carrots, beans, green peas, sweet corn, mushrooms etc)
3)White broad beans/paneer/chicken fillets - 1/2 cup (you can choose any one these based on your preference, this adds the protien part to the dish)
- If you opt for the white broad beans soak for about 3 hrs and pressure cook for 4 whistles. drain all water.
- If you opt for paneer, dip in chilled water for 2 minutes and cut into cubes- If you opt for chicken fillets, cut them into strips and saute them in a teaspoon of oil till the meat turns a white opaque colour.
4)chopped Green chillies - 3
5)chopped ginger - 1 teaspoon
6) Kashmiri chillie powder - 1 teaspoon
7) Garam masala or kitchen king masala - 1/4 teaspoon
Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet , add the ginger, green chillies and saute. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook till 3/4th done. Add the broad beans/chicken/paneer and saute for 2 mts. Add the oats. sprinkle water and cook covered for a minute on low flame. Add the chilie powder and garam masala. Add salt to taste. Stir fry till oats is cooked (about 2 minutes) sprinkling more water if necessary)PS: Its important to just sprinkle water. If you pour as you would for regular sooji (semolina), this upma becomes soggy and porridge like.
7 hours ago